Saturday, December 08, 2007

Chris Tucker Is My Homeboy

It wasn't just another Monday at the office.

Early in the day, while sitting at my computer, I received notice that Delta Air Lines would be hosting a press conference to announce the launch of the first-ever nonstop flight from the U.S. to Nigeria.

Armed with a press pass and camera gear, another reporter and I made it through airport security without incident and traveled to Gate E12 to join the media fray. Surprisingly, though not too much so when you consider many Atlanta media outlets' refusal to focus on international issues, we were the only print media that covered the event (as far as we know).

Our persistence was rewarded. Chris Tucker, the actor/comedian who stars in the Rush Hour movies alongside Jackie Chan, had accompanied Andrew Young, former mayor of Atlanta and U.S. ambassador to the U.N., to the press conference, and eventually they boarded the flight together.

For our colorful coverage of the significant event and photos of Chris Tucker, check out my article here. I had to resist putting quotes like "Don't you eva touch a black man's radio!" and "Do you understand the words that are comin' outta my mouth?!" in the article, but I did write about the fact that many of the Nigerians present shouted "Amen!" when the consul general talked about the flight.

No comments: